If you are struggling with a difficulty, getting stuck and not sure what to do next, then it may be helpful to talk.
As a Scuba Diving Instructor and Psychologist who specialises in dive psychology, I’d like to help. I offer appointments via online videocall (like Skype, but more secure).
What can I help you with?
This service may be useful for divers looking for support with mental health issues, having difficult experience with current training provider, or other problems that are a barrier to diving.
It may be that there is a specific scuba diving concern you would like support with and have been unable to address with your instructor. For example:
- Anxiety or nervousness
- Specific fears
- Significant trouble with particular scuba diving skills (e.g. mask)
- Difficulty regulating stress reactions
- Distressing thoughts
- Underwater panic
- Responding to problems: out-of-air / entrapment / rapid ascent
- Previous issues getting in the way of dive training (e.g. near-drowning in the past, other traumatic experiences)
- Coping with distressing or traumatic diving incidents
Everyone has different needs. So that we can work out how best to help you, I offer these appointment as one-off calls. I am currently trialing these first appointments as “pay-what-you-think”*. This means we meet, then after the call I send you a link to pay whatever it was worth to you! If I’ve been unable to help at all, you can choose not to pay.
I do however ask that you attend the call, or let me know if you can’t make it, because I will be waiting to meet you.
How much can we do?
That really depends on the issue and what you need. With some issues, it’s just a case of finding out what is needed and pointing you in the right direction. I’ve sometimes been able to help a lot with a single call.
Some people really benefit from a couple of appointments to figure out what is going on, and some prefer a series of calls to work through the issue to resolution. After the first call, each 50-min session is £70.
I am also creating a range of courses to help scuba divers, if one of these meets your needs, I will let you know (or I’ll consider building one that does). If I know of something else that can help you more than I can, like a book or website, I’ll tell you about it.
Need more information before booking? Leave a message.
PLEASE NOTE: This service is for psychological guidance, information and skills training. Clearly, it is neither possible nor advisable, to offer scuba diving instruction online. For training and diving, you will need to seek your local instructor.
The following is likely to apply in most cases:
1. Seek a medical opinion regarding your fitness-to-dive from your own doctor. If necessary, consult a doctor with dive medicine expertise.
2. If you are fit-to-dive, seek the services of a scuba diving instructor to support your dive skills development.
* only applies to the first session.